Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Three Musketeers

PG-13 (2011)
Sequences of adventure action violence
 
The age old story is back in this new twist on the tale.
D'Artagnan travels from Gascony to Paris with his father's sword to become a Musketeer. His first day in Paris he manages to set up duels with the three best swordsmen in all of France, former Musketeers Athos, Porthos and Aramis. When Cardinal Richelieu's guard show up to arrest them for illegal dueling they work together to defeat the guards. 
Now they must work together to defeat Buckingham and Cardinal Richelieu before two manage to start war between England and France.

3 out of 5

I had a hard time with this movie. I am a HUGE fan of the 1948 movie by the same name and that made the storyline changes hard for me to reconcile.
Things I liked about this movie:
  • The swordfights... uh-maz-ing.
  • Casting choices: all three Musketeers where good choices, as where Richelieu, Rochefort and Milady.
  • Cinematography: this movie was very well filmed. Good sweeping views, smooth transitions, and none of the shaky, vomit inducing Blaire Witch camera crap. 
Things I didn't like about this movie:
  • Storyline! Not only is this a story everyone already knows, but it is based in history. There are things that can be tweaked, and there are things that cannot. They went to far.
  • D'Artagnan. That is all.
  • Costuming.
  • Airships?!?! Seriously. No, seriously.
Ok, I know I just complained a lot about this movie, and I really do have some major problems with it, but I didn't hate it. I even kind of liked it.
I watched it a second time on purpose, hoping that if I knew what to expect I would be able to see the good in it. I did enjoy it more the second time through, but some I was still really turned off by inaccuracies and inconsistencies.
If you have never seen one of the older versions (I don't think the 1993 will affect anything here, it had it's own issues) I think that this is a movie you can really enjoy. Action movie fans may even be thrilled by the update.

No comments:

Post a Comment