Monday, April 16, 2012

Gran Torino

R (2008)
Language and violence

Korean war veteran Walt Kowalski is as bigoted and hateful as it gets, until his Hmong neighbor tries to steal his Gran Torino as a gang initiation.

4 out of 5

A friend loaned me this movie, told me it was really good, and I ignored them. I'm not a Clint Eastwood fan, though I have enjoyed a few of his more recent movies (most of which he has also directed), this one didn't appeal to me. Finally, under pressure to return it, I put it in the player. I'm so glad I did. I'm not going to lie, there was a LOT of language, most of it racial slurs, but it was real... it was the character, not just gratuitous use of words.
It isn't often a movie touches me the way this one did. What starts out as trying to keep gang members off of his property grows into teaching his young neighbor how to be a real man. But the real changes are those that are happening to Walt.

No comments:

Post a Comment