Tuesday, April 24, 2012

From Prada to Nada

PG-13 (2011)
Brief drug use and a sexual situation

In the newest adaptation of Jane Austin's Sense and Sensibility, two sisters raised in the lap of luxury are in for a rude awakening when their father's death is swiftly followed by the revelation that their father was bankrupt. Now the only place left for them to go is to live with their aunt, in the poor part of town.

4.5 out of 5
(Marijuana use and one scene that implies sex has happened, should be safe for most teenagers)

Camilla Belle has long been one of my favorite actresses and I would be lying if I said that I chose to watch this movie for any other reason. When I realized that what I was watching was actually Sense and Sensibility (about thirty seconds into the opening titles when it told me so) I got pretty excited.
This particular modern take was well done. It was updated enough that any changes were appropriate. At the same time it hit all the major points and followed the book so well that no one in this household was disappointed (and in this Jane Austin loving home that is saying something).

No comments:

Post a Comment