Monday, April 16, 2012

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

PG (1985)

Janie is the new girl in town. She and her new best friend Lynne are obsessed with Dance TV. When they find out that there are going to be tryouts, they do everything they can to make it on the show.

4.5 out of 5

I don't remember exactly how I first came in contact with this movie, but I am pretty dang sure that I had no idea what it was about. It was the chance to see the three actresses on the cover in a 80's teen flick together that made me watch it the first time. It is now one of my stand-by background movies (I am always happy to watch it, but I have seen it often enough I can still do other tasks while it is on).
The storyline is familiar, and the characters aren't too terribly fleshed out... but Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt dancing, how could it not be fun to watch? (Despite the fact that she appears on the movie cover, Shannen Doherty actually plays a smallish, though amusing, supporting role.)
All in all Girls Just Want to Have Fun is a clean, wholesome movie you can feel good about watching with all of your family, including Grandma... she will wonder why you are making her watch such a silly movie though.



Edit: Just noticed, Netflix lists this under the category "Movies for ages 11 to 12"... Guess we just learned something about my maturity level.

Also - as I have just given away, I am often to lazy too walk all the way around the couch to my own movie collection... so I use Netflix to watch movies I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment