Monday, February 20, 2012

Whip It

PG-13 (2009)
Sexual content including crude dialogue, language and drug material

Bliss Cavendar is a teenager who feels trapped in the world of beauty pageants. When she comes across a flyer for the roller derby in nearby Austin she decides to check it out.

5 out of 5
(I would call this one okay for most older teenagers, but please screen for your kids if you just aren't sure)

The movie is littered with great one liners and is all about girl power. Need I say more?
I bought this movie when I found out that it was Drew Barrymore's directorial debut. While I am not a fan of all of her movies (with a career that started in 1978 and covers most genres you can't make everyone happy all the time) I have liked almost everything she has done since the turn of the century. I wasn't disappointed. My expectations were met and exceeded.
I'm a total sap for coming of age movies, and this one, with its strong female characters, was a total winner. Ellen Page does a great job as a teenager torn between what her mother wants for her and what she wants for herself. You cheer for her when things go her way, and hurt for her when she gets her heart broken.



Random movie fact #1: Drew Barrymore comes from a long line of stars. Her grandfather John Barrymore was in both silent films and "talkies", her great-uncle was stage and film actor Lionel Barrymore, and her great-aunt was stage actor Ethel Barrymore of Singing in the Rain fame ("Well if it isn't Ethel Barrymore!").

No comments:

Post a Comment