Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Avengers

PG-13 (2012)
I
ntense sequences of sci-fi violence and action throughout, and a mild drug reference.

Nick Fury finally gets what he wants when he uses all of his S.H.I.E.L.D. resources to bring together the team he has been dreaming of. When Loki brings his feud with Thor to Earth, there is nothing that can stop him and his friends, except The Avengers... that is, if they can ever get their act together.
 

5 out of 5

This movie easily takes the best of each of it's predecessors... and makes them look like boring snooze fests.
There are three ways to see this movie. Without seeing any of the other movies, having seen some of the other movies, and having seen all of the other movies. As I stated in a previous blog, I made an effort to see the movies I hadn't before getting to the theater. Although this movie would have been amazing under any circumstances, I think having seen the other movies really helped understand the characters and where they are coming from. Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are all must see movies, whether before or after seeing The Avengers. They make it a better movie. (Personally I think Edward Norton's The Incredible Hulk is miss-able. If you need background on the character I would suggest the slightly, and I do mean slightly, better 2003 Hulk, with Eric Bana, instead.)
The special effects were top shelf. (I do need to say I did not see this movie in 3D. I am not a fan of 3D movies, and while I may need to just try it again, I haven't liked one since Disneyland got rid of Captain Eo.) From the somewhat smaller scale special effects used for characters such as Hawkeye, Captain America, and Black Widow, to the all out CG used for The Hulk and... well I can't give everything away. But seriously, the special effects were amazing, they fit seamlessly into the live action filming.  
When it comes down to it, the interactions between these very unique characters are what really made the movie. Captain America from the 1940s and Thor from Asgard have to find a way to communicate. Bruce Banner has to find a way to control The Hulk while dealing with Tony Stark, but bring him out to help Iron Man. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and Phil...
See the movie already!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment