Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Hunger Games

PG-13 (2012)
Intense violence and thematic material - all involving teens.
 

In a post war distopian future, 24 teenagers are chosen to fight to the death in the annual Hunger Games.

4.5 out of 5

(In this instance I think that it is very important to read the book before seeing the movie. There are elements involved in the storyline that aren't as fully developed in the movie, and are important to understanding what is really going on.)

I already had the intention of reading the Hunger Games books, but as the release of the movie began to loom over me, I new I was running out of time. I was lucky enough to receive the books for Christmas, and finished them in about a day each.

The movie was both more than I expected and less than I had hoped. When I go into a movie already knowing the storyline and attached to the characters as I interpret them it is harder to enjoy another person's interpretation of the same story. However the film stayed very true to the book, only departing from it when it wasn't practical to follow the book. A few of the less important characters have been cut and some of the scenes and exposition removed for obvious length and flow reasons.
I loved the casting choice made for Katniss. I don't think there is any other young actress out right now who would have fit my mold better than Jennifer Lawrence.  However I was somewhat leery of a few of the other casting choices, Peeta in particular. Now having seen the movie I don't think they made a single wrong choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment