Friday, May 25, 2012

50/50

R (2011)
(For language, sexual content, and drug use)
Inspired by a true story, a 27 year old man learns he has cancer. This is the story of his fight to survive... and live.

5 out of 5
 The language (read: Seth Rogen) was probably the most disturbing thing in this movie. To me the drug use (medicinal marijuana) was situational and therefore appropriate.

Wow... just wow. I'm not going to lie, this movie hit close to home. It made me realize that I need to rethink a few things in my life. I've watched cancer from the outside, I think this movie brought me a little closer to seeing it from the inside. With most movies I have opinions on something in the movie other than just the storyline (actors, plot holes, cinematography, etc.), I didn't even notice those things.
I'm sure that 50/50 earned its R rating, but in some cases I think that the rating system doesn't actually determine the "worth" or "worthiness" of a movie. To me this is definitely one of those movies.

2 comments:

  1. 5 out of 5, eh? ... I've heard good things about this movie, and I've thought more than once that I should give it a shot. (I was actually standing in front of a Redbox this morning and debating whether or not I thought I could handle it. ... I voted myself down, btw.)

    It's good to know that it scored 5 out of 5 with you, as you're one of my more discriminating movie critic friends/cousins.

    I do love this blog, btw. :-) Your review of every single superhero movie you could find in preparation for The Avengers made me giggle. (It also made me jealous that I didn't think to do the same thing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really like this movie. A lot. I have three things to add to my review of it given your quandary.
      1- It will probably be really hard for you to watch. It was hard for me to watch.
      2- There is a sex scene. If I remember correctly it is fairly mild, but it is there.
      3- If you are not used to Seth Rogen... yeah, he's kind of a... loud, obnoxious, offensive kind of guy. I liked him in this movie, but that doesn't change how he is in movies (and I would guess in real life).

      Delete